Saturday, January 8, 2011

Alexander Rex Sturgeon

Wow...I can't believe that Alex is already 10 days old and I am just getting around to writing about his arrival!!
And what an arrival it was...it all started with my last doctor's appointment on December 27, 2010.  When I went in for the appointment my doctor said that I wasn't dilated at all yet but that she really wanted to get the baby out soon because of the gestational diabetes so she scheduled for me to go in that evening to be induced.
We arrived at the hospital at 9 pm on Monday evening. By the time they started anything it was 11:30 pm.  At that point they inserted cervadil to start dilation and contractions.  It was supposed to be in for 12 hours before they started the pitocin.  With that said they let Justin and I get settled in to sleep until morning.
Well...an hour later my nurse came in to check on me.  She immediately called for help and about 6 other people arrived. Apparently the baby was not responding well to the contractions and his heart rate was dropping.  It was a very scary few minutes.
They decided to pull out the cervadil and let me rest for about an hour or so before they tried anything else.  Around 2 am, they decided to insert a Foley bulb to help with dilation and to start the pitocin.  This was a long process!!! From 2 am until 2 pm I only dilated about 3 and a half centimeters.  At that time they removed the Foley bulb and let me labor some more. 
A few hours later, I was dilated to 6 centimeters, so they broke my water hoping to speed the process along.
Around 8 pm, I was 8 centimeters dilated and stayed that way for a while.  During the middle of the night, the nurses checked me again and I was 9 centimeters but didn't seem like I was going to be getting to 10 centimeters soon.
Finally, around 8 am on Wednesday morning (about 34 hours after we stared induction), my doctor came to check me out.  I was finally 10 centimeters so we decided to try pushing.
I had gotten an epidural around 4 pm on Tuesday and continued to have the medicine so the actually pushing was not bad at all. He was moving but after 2 hours he hadn't made enough progress and the doctor thought his head might just be too big to fit through my pelvis...so off to the O.R. we go for a c-section.
Man, I never realized how sore I'd be after the c-section.  It has been 10 days and I still need to be very careful about making sudden movements, coughing, laughing too hard or getting up from a seated position quickly.
But in the end it was all worth it to finally get to see and hold our precious baby boy!!!

Alexander Rex Sturgeon
Date of Birth: December 29, 2010
Weight: 8 pounds 1 ounce
Lenght: 21 inches
Lots of dark hair



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.